[R] Build error on Windows

Pankaj Savdekar savdekar at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 2 10:42:28 CEST 2006

>From: Duncan Murdoch <murdoch at stats.uwo.ca>
>Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 09:13:36 -0400
>
>On 9/29/2006 5:41 PM, Pankaj Savdekar wrote:
>>Thanks for the quick reply.

>>>You need to look through the make files, to see what was happening.
>>>Reading the messages in reverse order:  "make all" called "make rpackage"
>>>and so on to "make frontmatter".  The errors don't tell you which
>>>makefiles these are in, but the "frontmatter" target only occurs in
>>>src/gnuwin32/MakePkg.  You could try deleting the "@" signs from the
>>>lines for that target to see exactly what was happening when the error
>>>was generated.
>>
>>Yes I could figure out the source of 'frontmatter', but my problem is,
>>there is no error message. I tried 'make -d' too. I tried removing '@',
>>but no change.
>>
>>>I'd guess that this is happening because your build is messed up:  the
>>>base package is used in later build steps.  If you start from a clean
>>>checkout and just call "make", you probably won't see this.
>>
>>Is there any way to check what could have been wrong in building base
>>package?
>
>You could look at whatever command in the makefile failed, and try it
>outside of the makefile, try variations on it, etc.  I can't give more
>specific advice without more specific information on where the error
>happened.

Thanks, I could get the error after 'make distclean'. The error is
---------- Making package base ------------
  adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no package called 'tools'
Execution halted
make[4]: *** [frontmatter] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: *** [pkg-base] Error 2
make[1]: *** [rpackage] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Surprisingly once this error come, if I do 'make' or 'make pkg-base', this
error doesn't get displayed.

I tried including R-bin directory to 'PATH', setting R_HOME, R_LIBS
environment variable, but it doesn't help. Do I need to set anyother
environment variable to find proper tools directory. My library directory
contents are as follows:
R-2.3.1
    library
        base