[R] Suitability of R for Algorithm simulations

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Oct 5 02:43:36 CEST 2006

[Ethan B. Fini]

> I would like to be able to instantiate an object for each node in my
> simulated  (stand alone, one computer) "distributed" environment and
> then proceed by (a)  adding message exchange functionality and (b)
> algorithm  behavior to each node.

Not so long ago, I quickly glanced at Eiffel after an enthusiastic
friend told me about it, and while I do not think I will soon use it for
myself, Eiffel might be the right choice for you, being strong on
light-weight processes and message passing, from what I've read...

If I had a simulation problem to tackle nowadays, I'd likely consider
Python supplemented with greelets from the pylib library, mainly because
I'm fond on Python legibility, and have a reasonably good confidence in
people having implemented greenlets.

> The simulation results are represented on a GUI [...]

The GUI aspects of Eiffel are unknown to me, I did not dive deep enough
to touch them.  For Python, I'd use pygtk, but there are many toolkits
to choose from.

> Is R suitable for what I am trying to do? I looked around but have not
> been able to determine if R is the appropriate platform.

R libraries are especially good at statistics and graphics.  The
language in itself is much oriented towards vectorisation, among other
things, and this might be convenient for a speedy implementation of some
simulation problems.  If vectorisation could not be turned into an
advantage for you with R, it is likely that R might be slow for such
problems, and also not so well adapted to quasi-parallelism between
interacting processes having each their own behaviour.

Of course, seasoned R users might have much more sound opinions than
mine on this topic! :-)

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca