[R] R Graphics: Saving PDF and other formats from Windows Graphic Device for LaTeX

Jens Scheidtmann JensScheidtmann at web.de
Wed Oct 4 22:52:01 CEST 2006

Anupam Tyagi <AnupTyagi at yahoo.com> writes:

[...]
> What is the best format to save R graphics for inclusion into a
> LaTeX documents?

When using pdflatex use pdf for graphics as reference format.  Using
ps2pdf or some such may have some problems when it comes to alpha
channels and transparency.

[...]
> I will be grateful if someone can share their experience.

Indispensable is having a good editing cycle.  I.e. compile the latex,
jump to the position where you are editing the file in the preview,
double click somewhere in the preview, move to that position in your
editor (or at least near that position).  As I am not aware of any
tools doing this with pdf, you may want to render dvi instead.  When
rendering DVI, you probably want to generate ps.

My 2c,

Jens