[R] Stopping ctrl-\ from qutting R

Marc Schwartz (via MN) mschwartz at mn.rr.com
Fri Oct 6 21:23:55 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 14:46 -0400, Martin C. Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the Linux (FC3) version of R, ctrl-\ quits R.  This wouldn't be so
> bad, but on my keyboard, it's right next to ctrl-p and I tend to hit it
> by accident.
>
> Is there any way to turn that off?

Open your favorite terminal emulator (ie. gnome-terminal, xterm,
konsole) and type:

  stty quit undef

then type:

The first command will disable the QUIT signal within the tty session,
which by default is set to CTRL-\. This will not change other console
sessions.

Of course this behavior may introduce other problems.  :-)

BTW, you might want to consider updating your FC distro, as FC3 is now
EOL and only supported by the Fedora Legacy folks. That support will end
on December 31.  At this point of course, you might just want to wait
until FC 6 is out sometime in the next week or so.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz