[R] where "should" R be installed?

Daniel Nordlund res90sx5 at verizon.net
Mon Oct 9 03:27:56 CEST 2006

I am a new user of Linux (long time user of Windows) whose only training is from books, articles, and just playing with Linux.  I have built and installed R from source, and also installed from RPMs (SuSE).    I am wondering where in the file system experienced users of R and Linux typically install R.  Are there any conventions, or any reasons to choose one location over another?  I know that this is, strictly speaking, not an R question but I thought I might ask here for guidance that might help me organize things for ease of use and maintenance, upgrading of packages etc.  Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Dan

Daniel Nordlund
Bothell, WA