[R] regarding bootstrapping

Stefan Grosse singularitaet at gmx.net
Mon Oct 9 16:17:16 CEST 2006

Although it does not directly answer your question you might be
interested in:

Michalis Ioannides, A comparison of yield curve estimation techniques using UK data, Journal of Banking & Finance, Volume 27, Issue 1, , January 2003, Pages 1-26.

Abstract: I compare different methods of estimating the term structure of interest rates on a daily UK treasury bill and gilt data that spans the period from January 1995 to January 1999. In-sample and out-of-sample statistics reveal the superior pricing ability of certain methods characterised by an exponential functional form. In addition to these standard goodness of fit statistics, model performance is judged in terms of two trading strategies based on model residuals. Both strategies reveal that parsimonious representations of the term structure perform better than their spline counterparts characterised by a linear functional form. This is valid even when abnormal returns are adjusted for market movements. Linear splines overfit the data and are likely to give misleading results.

Author Keywords: Bonds; Trading strategy; Term structure of interest rates; Pricing; Splines