[R] [Mac OS X 10.4] object R_loess_raw not found (reason found)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 17:36:34 CEST 2006

Well... this may be a red herring after all, but it's an interesting one!

It turns out I have got DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH set. This gets exported to R
(or rather, affects the loader that loads the R process?), and somehow
mixes up the way symbols are exported. Something that applies to
launching R from the command line (/usr/bin/R) AND via LaunchServices
(open -a R). Once I noticed that invoking the R GUI like that also
provoked the issue, I quickly understood that something in the
environment must be involved.

Unsetting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH restores normal behaviour.

Note that this never caused any problems on 10.3 (and I'm not
completely convinced there hasn't been a recent update to dyld that
may be the culprit).

I still don't understand how this could make a symbol unavailable that
is stored in some sort of internal registry.

However, while rebuilding 2.3.1 from source (!, but this one worked
for me), I did notice that the configure script doesn't correctly
detect that gcc-4.0 knows of the visibility attributes. This *may*
somehow be related.