[R] read.table() and scientific notation

Alex Brown alex at transitive.com
Tue Oct 10 14:00:04 CEST 2006

A cheeky solution by subverting the coerce mechanism and read.table:

# install a coerce function which can fix the "e+10" syntax for an
imaginary class myDouble:

 > setAs("character", "myDouble", function(from)as.double(sub('^(-?)
e','\\11e',from)))
Warning message:
in the method signature for function 'coerce' no definition for
class: “myDouble” in: matchSignature(signature, fdef, where)

# load some data:

 > Lines <- scan(sep="\n", what="")
a 1 3e-8
b 2 1e+10
c 3 e-10
d 4 e+3
e 5 e+1

# process it without using the imaginary class - use a real double
instead to see what happens:
# Note I've used textConnection(Lines) here, where your filename
would go

 > T <- read.table(textConnection(Lines), colClasses=list
("character", "integer", "double"))
Error in scan(file, what, nmax, sep, dec, quote, skip, nlines,
na.strings,  :
	scan() expected 'a real', got 'e-10'

# process it, specifying the imaginary class myDouble.

 > T <- read.table(textConnection(Lines), colClasses=list
("character", "integer", "myDouble"))
   V1 V2    V3
1  a  1 3e-08
2  b  2 1e+10
3  c  3 1e-10
4  d  4 1e+03
5  e  5 1e+01

 > lapply(T, class)
$V1
[1] "character"

$V2
[1] "integer"

$V3
[1] "numeric"

Someone's bound to shoot me down for hackery here :-)

-Alex