[R] update.default evaluating in wrong environment?

Martin C. Martin martin at martincmartin.com
Tue Oct 10 18:20:57 CEST 2006

Hi all,

update.default, which is the method used to update "lm" objects (among
others), extracts the "call" element from it's first argument, updates
it, then evaluates it in the parent.frame().  Shouldn't it be evaluated
in environment(formula(object)), if that's non-NULL?

I ask because I call "lm" from within a function, and the data argument
is a local variable of that function.  After that, I can't update the
model any more, since the new lm() call (the one evaled in
parent.frame()) can't find the data.

Best,
Martin