[R] Fishers exact test in R

Bob Green bgreen at dyson.brisnet.org.au
Thu Oct 12 23:08:49 CEST 2006

I was hoping for some advice regarding Fishers exact test in R.

The help file indicates odds ratios are only available for 2 x 2 tables and
that these odds ratios are the "hypothesized odds ratio".  I was uncertain
as to what a hypothesised odds ratio is and whether it was possible to
obtain odds ratios for a 3 x 2 table?

Alternatively to trying to obtain an odds ratio for my five 3 x 2 tables, I
was considering analysing them as  a series of 2 x 2 tables as the odds
ratio feature seemed a useful aid to determine the source of difference in
a 3 x 2 table. I have, however, read conflicting accounts of whether
subdividing larger tables into 2 x 2 tables is a justifiable practice.

Any assistance with the above enquiry is much appreciated,

regards

Bob Green