[R] Compiling R 2.4.0 in ubuntu/linux

Oleg Sklyar osklyar at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Oct 13 01:41:41 CEST 2006

use synaptic or apt-get to get readline and readline-dev, you also do
not need f2c as there is a real fortran, so use synaptic/apt-get to get
gfortran and use the following syntax when running ./configure:

env F77=/usr/bin/gfortran-4.0 ./configure

I have Ubuntu Edgy and the above works with almost any R, not only 2.4.0

Best,
Oleg

PS. This is not a question for R-devel :)

T C wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is the place to post this question, but, I am
> having trouble compiling the source code. I do have a suitable C
> compiler and f2c but I get this error when I run ./configure
>
> configure: error: --with-readline=yes (default) and headers/libs are
> not available
>
> Any ideas? Thanks.

Dr Oleg Sklyar * EBI/EMBL, Cambridge CB10 1SD, England * +44-1223-494466