[R] Need help with barplots

David Barron mothsailor at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 13 10:55:13 CEST 2006

First, produce two barplots for comparison:

> par(mfrow=c(2,1) )
> barplot(VADeaths,beside=TRUE)
> barplot(VADeaths)

The same information is in both plots; in the top, it is displayed as
5 separate bars for each group, and in the stacked plot it is shown as
5 separate regions in each of the four bars.  The hight of each of
these regions is the same as the hight of the corresponding bar in the
side-by-side plot.  The stacked plot enables you to see overall
differences more easily (easier to see that the death rate is highest
for Urban Males), but it is harder to compare the sizes of the
categories.