[R] Old packages or Update R?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Oct 14 07:09:54 CEST 2006

On 13 October 2006 at 21:40, Marc Fischer wrote:
| I've got a box running Redhat 9 with R 1.7.1.  I need the "foreign"
| package but the one on CRAN is for the current rev of R (i.e.,
| 2.4).  Problem is I am naive and also can't find the R-2.4.rpm
| appropriate for RedHat 9.  Can someone suggest a repository of old
| packages or do I need to build (sounds frightening) R 2.4 for RedHat 9?

snapshot.debian.net attempts to keep a history of all (15,000 and counting,
no less) Debian packages, at all versions.  It once had a non-recoverable
disk failure, but should be reasonably complete.

Looking at the changelog for R, I see that R 1.7.1 corresponds to June 2003.
I wasn't splitting foreign et al out of r-recommended, so you could try the
r-recommended tarball from then -- so here is e.g. the source of R 1.7.1

http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2003/06/18/debian/pool/main/r/r-base/r-base_1.7.1.orig.tar.gz

which would have it.  You get the whole enchillada if you enter
'r-recommended' in the first search field on

	http://snapshot.debian.net/cgi-bin/packages.cgi

and then click on 'query' and then on 'details' for r-recommended on the
following page.

That said, you really should upgrade.  Even if you are stuck with your RH9
box, you could have a smaller (yet current !!) system in a chroot jail, or
you could try something like VMWare Player to boot my Quantian iso (see the
HOWTOs at http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html) alongside your RH9
installation. Provided you get the VMPlayer installed, of course...

Hope this helps,  Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison