[R] The old question: R vs MATLAB vs Mathematica vs ...

Ali - saveez at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 16 06:16:16 CEST 2006

Hi,

This question seems to be old, however I am asking it from a different point
of view.

R introduces itself as a 'statistical' language and environment. There are
many discussions about comparing R to MATLAB or mathematica (or other
similar software). It seems to me that these other software have a broader
range of applications. For example, in Mathematica one can solve a partial
differential equation numberically or do image processing, or, one can
connect a data acquisition card to MATLAB to acquire data from a measurement
and analyse the results.

- Does R already provide such facilities?

- Was R design to be merely a statistical tool or was it designed with an
idea of a general mathematical tool in mind?

- If the answer to the above is no, can R already be extended to include the
missing features simply by extra packages or does it need some rational
changes to support these features?