[R] Sweave, R and complex latex projects

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Oct 16 15:51:08 CEST 2006

On 16 October 2006 at 11:28, Friedrich Leisch wrote:

|   > %.tex: %.Rnw
|   >         echo "library(tools); Sweave('$<')" | ${R_PROG} --vanilla --silent
|
| Note that we now have R CMD Sweave (new in R 2.4.0) for this purpose.

It would have been nice if that followed convention and responded to --help
as suggested by 'R --help':

edd at basebud:~$ R --help | tail -5

Please use 'R CMD command --help' to obtain further information about
the usage of 'command'.

Report bugs to <r-bugs at r-project.org>.
edd at basebud:~$

yet what we get is an error:

edd at basebud:~$ R CMD Sweave --help
> library("utils"); Sweave("--help")
Writing to file --help.tex
Processing code chunks ...
Error in SweaveReadFile(file, syntax) : no Sweave file with name '--help' found
Execution halted
edd at basebud:~$

On the other hand:

edd at basebud:~$ R CMD INSTALL --help | head -2
Usage: R CMD INSTALL [options] pkgs

edd at basebud:~$ R --version
R version 2.4.0 (2006-10-03)
Copyright (C) 2006 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

You are welcome to redistribute it under the terms of the
GNU General Public License.  For more information about
these matters, see http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html.

edd at basebud:~$

Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison