[R] help with plot()

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at mn.rr.com
Mon Oct 16 18:21:59 CEST 2006

Tom,

If your text file, 'sp.txt' contains the headers used on that web page,
then your read.table() function call is incorrect.

Your call below presently has 'header = 0'. Use TRUE/FALSE for easier
reading of code. The tutorial seems to be inconsistent with that.

If your text file contains the 'Date' and 'SP500' column headers, then
your SP500 data column is going to be read in as a character variable,
as R will see the first entry of 'SP500' as a character value, not as a
column header.

This column in turn, will be coerced to a factor, resulting in the
errors you are seeing, as plot.factor() will be used.

You should be using:

d <- read.table("c:/test/sp.txt", header = TRUE)

Use:

  str(d)

to review the current structure of your data frame. That should give you
some hints.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz