[R] MLE Methods

Ben Bolker bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Mon Oct 16 22:46:48 CEST 2006

nand kumar <nksathyar <at> yahoo.com> writes:

>   Greetings Forum,
>
>   I am new to R and and writing in hopes of getting some help.
>   Our MLE results from a home grown software do not match with that of R. We
are using a censored sample and will
> really appreciate if you could give us any pointers as to which MLE method is
used in R... to my knowledge
> there are different flavors of MLE used.

  We need more information.  There are a huge variety of functions
in R that, in one way or another, calculate maximum likelihood estimates
(e.g. lm, glm, survReg, lmer, ...) using many different numerical
algorithms appropriate for the specific problem.  As the posting guide
says, please construct the simplest possible reproducible example,
showing how you estimate the MLE in R,
and explain something about how your "home grown software" works;
otherwise there is no way to answer your question.

  Ben Bolker