[R] Mixed effect model in R

Stefan Grosse singularitaet at gmx.net
Tue Oct 17 18:38:20 CEST 2006

Please always reply to the list as well as there always might be someone
faster/better answering (or it could be that I am wrong, so someone
might correct me)

Indeed Pinheiro/Bates assume gaussian error terms... but I am not really
sure whether you meant that with  "non normally distributed respond
variable" resp. "with non-normal data"

however:
"/ Mixed-effects models: / The recommended nlme
<http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Descriptions/nlme.html> package,
associated with Pinheiro and Bates, / Mixed-Effects Models in S and
S-PLUS / (Springer, 2000), fits linear and nonlinear mixed-effects
models, commonly used in the social sciences for hierarchical and
longitudinal data. Generalized linear mixed-effects models may be fit by
the glmmPQL function in the MASS package, and by the lmer function in
the Matrix
<http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Descriptions/Matrix.html> package
(related to the lme4
<http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Descriptions/lme4.html> package,
which largely supersedes nlme
<http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Descriptions/nlme.html> for /
linear / mixed models). Also see the lmeSplines
<http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Descriptions/lmeSplines.html> and
lmm <http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Descriptions/lmm.html>
packages." [
http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Views/SocialSciences.html ]