[R] Error: STRING_ELT() can only be applied to a 'character vector', not a 'builtin'

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Oct 17 19:12:36 CEST 2006

I suspect you have a protection problem.  The specific message you quote
indicates that STRING_ELT is being called on an object of inappropriate
type: but it is quite likely that it is being called on uninitialized
memory as the intended object has been garbage-collected.  Messages from a
corrupted R session do not always make sense: see the debugging info in
`Writing R Extensions' and especially the use of gctorture and valgrind.

Followups to R-devel, please: this looks very like a programming issue.