[R] cluster in R

Christian Hennig chrish at stats.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Oct 18 14:15:55 CEST 2006

Dear Weiwei,

> 1. Is there a way of evaluate the effecitives (or seperation) of
> clustering (rather than by visualization)?

The function cluster.stats in package fpc computes several cluster
validation statistics (among them the average silhouette width).
Function clusterboot in the same package (recent version) assesses cluster
stability. There are several interfaces to clustering methods implemented
in R which are documented on the help page of kmeansCBI (which gives you
kind of an overview of available "general purpose" clustering methods in R
though I may have missed some).
There are also several methods for the visualization of separation (I
know that you didn't ask for that) for which the function plotcluster is
an interface.

Best,
Christian

Christian Hennig
University College London, Department of Statistical Science
Gower St., London WC1E 6BT, phone +44 207 679 1698
chrish at stats.ucl.ac.uk, www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~ucakche