[R] R-2.4.0 and MS Vista OS - installing packages

Charles Annis, P.E. Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
Sat Oct 21 03:38:23 CEST 2006

Problem solved!

Thanks to all and especially Clint Bowman and Uwe Ligges who pointed to the
fly in the ointment, viz. Vista's "User Account Control," UAC.

To allow installation of R packages, you must open the Vista Control Panel
and choose Windows Security Center.  Then turn the UAC off.  This will
require a restart of the computer.  After the computer restarts and you
summon R, packages can be installed from CRAN in the usual way.  After
installation you can reassert the UAC which also requires a computer
restart.  Vista starts up about 5X faster than my 3 year old Windows XP
machine, so the restarts are not onerous.

Many thanks to you all!

Charles Annis, P.E.

Charles.Annis at StatisticalEngineering.com
phone: 561-352-9699
eFax:  614-455-3265
http://www.StatisticalEngineering.com