[R] Problems running IsoMDS using vegdist with pres-abs data and two sites with zero distance

Leonard Sandin Leonard.Sandin at ma.slu.se
Sat Oct 21 13:19:04 CEST 2006

Hi
I have just (finally) started to poke around in R and wanted to analyse
a stream fish dataset with 28 sites and 18 species. When trying to
follow the Vegan manual to run nmds from distance measures calculated by
the vegdist function it turns out that I have two sites (streams) with
the exactly the same four species (I have used pres-abs data in this
case). When I try to run isoMDS I get an error message saying that:
Error in isoMDS(vare.dis) : zero or negative distance between objects 14
and 15
i.e. the two sites with the same fish species. I can run the decorana
function with "sensible" results so the dataset seems to be ok.
My next step would be to compare the results of the fish ordination with
some other datasets from the same sites (i.e. through procrustes
rotation) - so I wouldn´t like to remove one of the "twin" sites.
Any suggestion on how to circumvent this or am I simply using the wrong
method?

Best wishes, Leonard

--
Dr. Leonard Sandin
Department of Environmental Assessment / Miljöanalys