[R] pie

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at mn.rr.com
Sat Oct 21 23:23:35 CEST 2006

On Sat, 2006-10-21 at 22:46 +0200, Dietrich Tissen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to draw a pie chart. I've already tried out the standard
> pie-function in the GRAPH-package. My question: is there any 'better'
> function or package to draw a pie chart. For example I would like to
> draw a 3D pie chart.
>
> Dietrich Tissen

Take a look at the plotrix package on CRAN.

That being said, just say "NO" to 3D pie charts:

"When a graphic is taken over by decorative forms of computer debris,
when the data measures and structures become Design Elements, when the
overall design purveys Graphical Style rather than quantitative
information, then the graphic may be called a duck in honor of the
duck-form store..."

                                               — Edward Tufte

"The primary source of extraneous lines in charting graphics today are
the 3-D options offered by conventional spreadsheet graphics. These 3-D
options serve no useful purpose; they add only ink to the chart, and
more often than not make it more difficult to estimate the values
represented. Even worse are the spreadsheet options that allow one to
rotate the perspective. For those who would take bad graphical display
to even higher levels, the Excel spreadsheet program offers the option
of doughnut, radar, cylinder, cone, bubble charts."

                                               — Gary Klass

Consider a ?dotchart or even ?barplot instead.

For more information:

http://lilt.ilstu.edu/gmklass/pos138/datadisplay/badchart.htm

http://lilt.ilstu.edu/gmklass/pos138/datadisplay/sections/goodcharts.htm

http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_vdqi