[R] Worm distribution :-)

Alberto Monteiro albmont at centroin.com.br
Mon Oct 23 19:18:13 CEST 2006

I don't know if anyone has heard this tale, but it runs
more or like this way:

  A biologist was studing a (semi-spherical) cave where bats
  lives. He fell asleep in the cave, and he woke up in the
  middle of the night. Half-dreaming, he thought that he was
  outside, because glow-worms were living in the walls, and
  they looked like stars. However, he noticed that, unlike a
  real sky, these "stars" had no _pattern_: there were no
  recognized images like The Cross, a Scorpion, The Hunter, etc.

  When he woke up, he conjectured that the reason we _can_
  see patterns in the real sky is that the stars are randomly
  distributed, while the glow-worms tried to keep a distance
  to each other.

My question: what is the best way to generate a glow-worm-like
distribution? I imagine that using a Latin Hypercube would
leave too many holes in the (x,y) plane.

Alberto Monteiro