[R] Unable to load foreign after upgrade on ubuntu

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Oct 24 17:11:24 CEST 2006

On 24 October 2006 at 15:47, Van Campenhout Bjorn wrote:
| I am running R on ubuntu dapper.  The version that is in the ubuntu
| repos is 2.2.1, so I decided to upgrade by adding
|
| deb http://cran.R-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu dapper/
|
| to my sources.list, as advised on the web page.  After sudo apt-get
| update and upgrade, I have version 2.3.1.  However, when I try to load
| the library 'foreign', I get the following error:
|
| Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)):
| Unable to load shared library
| '/usr/lib/R/library/foreign/libs/foreign.so':
| /usr/lib/R/library/foreign/libs/foreign.so: undefined symbol: isfinite
| Error: package/namespace load failed for 'foreign'
|
| What is going wrong?

There are interdependencies between the R binary and the dynamically loaded
libraries it loads.  By upgrading R, you have agreed to the Faustian bargain
of potentially having to upgrade these libraries too.

So reinstalling foreign from CRAN should do. R can do that for you, see
	help("update.packages")
and make sure you also have r-base-dev installed as this will cover most if
not all of the tools

Hth, Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison