[R] Error when naming rows of dataset

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Oct 25 14:45:29 CEST 2006

On 10/25/2006 7:44 AM, yongchuan wrote:
> I'm pretty new with R, so the only error message I see is
> the below that I pasted.

What caught you is that R truncates the text when it prints an error.
So it only listed the first 3 row names, which are unique, and didn't
point out that the real problem was with the last one.

This is very common in R error messages:  the errors are usually less
specific than they could be.  For instance, the code that detects the
duplicate can easily determine which rows are duplicates, and could tell
you that, but it doesn't.

Unfortunately, because this is so common, it would really require a lot
of work to fix.  It would also dump a lot of work on the translation
teams, because the new error messages would all need to be translated.
Doing it would introduce new errors, and since they'd only show up in
error conditions, they'd likely be missed.  So it's not even the kind of
project that one person could take on, it would need the cooperation of
several.

Sorry for going so far afield from your specific problem, but I think
it's useful for new R users to know R's limitations, and some of the
reasons for them.

Duncan Murdoch

I'm attaching the first few rows