[R] cloud() works but wireframe() is blank

Larry Layne ljlayne at unm.edu
Thu Oct 26 00:48:20 CEST 2006

Per the message from Alexander Nervedi, 29 April 2006:

> I have to be making a riddiculously silly ommission.
> when I run the fillowing i get the cloud plot ok. But I cant figure
> out what I am missing out when I call wireframe.

> Any help would be appreciated.

> x<-runif(100)
> y<-rnorm(100)
> z<-runif(100)

> temp <-data.frame(x,y,z)
> wireframe(x~y*z,temp)
> cloud(x~y*z,temp)

There is something funny about the way wireframe treats a data frame object
created using "data.frame" vs. using "expand.grid". For instance, this
works:

reggrid <- expand.grid(u=1:10,v=1:10)
reggrid$z <- runif(100)
reggrid <- data.frame(reggrid)
is.data.frame(reggrid)
wireframe(z~u*v,reggrid,scales=list(arrows=FALSE),drape=TRUE,colorkey=TRUE)

but this does not:

u <- c(1:100)
v <- mat.or.vec(100,1)
ij=0
for(i in 1:10)
  {
    for(j in 1:10)
      {
        ij=ij+1
        v[ij]=j
      }
  }
z <- runif(100)
reggrid <- data.frame(u,v,z)
is.data.frame(reggrid)
wireframe(z~u*v,reggrid,scales=list(arrows=FALSE),drape=TRUE,colorkey=TRUE)

Does anyone have any insight on this? In addition, I would also like to do
what Alexander is trying to do, which is create a wireframe from irregular
lattice data.

Larry Layne