[R] Read.csv

Petr Pikal petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Thu Oct 26 10:02:28 CEST 2006

Hi

On 26 Oct 2006 at 10:31, Wang, Joshua (EQS) wrote:

Date sent:      	Thu, 26 Oct 2006 10:31:00 +0900
From:           	"Wang, Joshua (EQS)" <joshua.wang at gs.com>
To:             	"Murray Pung" <mcpung at gmail.com>
Copies to:      	r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject:        	Re: [R] Read.csv

> Mr. Pung,
>
> Thank you. It works in terms of loading the data. Except that there is
> a header in the file that I would like to load it to be the names in
> the data.frame.

You probably shall set row.names=NULL parameter in read.csv as stated
in help page

row.names a vector of row names. This can be a vector giving the
actual row names, or a single number giving the column of the table
which contains the row names, or character string giving the name of
the table column containing the row names.
If there is a header and the first row contains one fewer field than
the number of columns, the first column in the input is used for the
row names. Otherwise if row.names is missing, the rows are numbered.
Using row.names = NULL forces row numbering.

However you probably will always get some row numbering as it is an
attribute of data.frame.

HTH
Petr