[R] distance between legend title and legend box

David Barron mothsailor at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 26 15:58:27 CEST 2006

I don't know if there is a nice, easy way of doing this, but this
method will work:

with(iris,
      plot(Sepal.Length, Sepal.Width,
           pch=as.numeric(Species), cex=1.2))

lg<-legend(6.5, 4.2, c("setosa", "versicolor", "virginica"),
      cex=1, pch=1:3, title=expression("kg/km"^2), bty="n")

x1 <- lg$rect$left
y1 <- lg$rect$top - lg$rect$h
x2 <- x1 + lg$rect$w
y2 <- lg$rect$top + .1  # change the .1 to get more or less space

rect(x1,y1,x2,y2)