[R] Power of test

ONKELINX, Thierry Thierry.ONKELINX at inbo.be
Fri Oct 27 18:05:27 CEST 2006

A quick answer to your questions:

1. Since nobody knows the "true" delta. I prefer to calculate the power for a range of deltas. Most of the time for a range spanning - 2 * expected delta up to 2 * expected delta. This gives an idea on how the power changes if delta changes.
2. ?power.t.test explains how to calculate n for a given power, delta, sd and sig.level. A quote from ?power.t.test: "Exactly one of the parameters 'n', 'delta', 'power', 'sd', and 'sig.level' must be passed as NULL, and that parameter is determined from the others."

Cheers,

Thierry

ir. Thierry Onkelinx

Instituut voor natuur- en bosonderzoek / Reseach Institute for Nature and Forest

Cel biometrie, methodologie en kwaliteitszorg / Section biometrics, methodology and quality assurance

Gaverstraat 4

9500 Geraardsbergen

Belgium

tel. + 32 54/436 185

Thierry.Onkelinx op inbo.be

www.inbo.be

Do not put your faith in what statistics say until you have carefully considered what they do not say.  ~William W. Watt

A statistical analysis, properly conducted, is a delicate dissection of uncertainties, a surgery of suppositions. ~M.J.Moroney