[R] Package development on Windows - latest guidance?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sat Oct 28 19:30:52 CEST 2006

On 10/28/2006 1:08 PM, Michael Prager wrote:
> Thanks to Gabor G., Duncan M., and Hong O. for helpful
> replies.  I've made some progress, but have two questions.
>
> Can anyone explain *how* R CMD searches for latex?

It doesn't:  R CMD runs a script, the script searches for latex.  If you
want to see what it does, you can look at the script, in the R_HOME/bin
directory.  For "check", it's a Perl script.  The actual searching for
Latex is done in the R_HOME/share/perl/R/Vars.pm module, which looks for
an environment variable named LATEX for the command; if not found, it
defaults to "latex", and assumes that's an executable command on your
path.

I've just tried, and a .bat file is not enough:  it wants
a real executable (because it is using sh.exe, not cmd.exe, at that point).

So I'd suggest using the environment variable, or putting TeX's bin
directory on your path.

Duncan Murdoch

  I have