[R] Variance Component/ICC Confidence Intervals via Bootstrap or Jackknife

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun Oct 29 23:46:12 CET 2006

<see in line>

Rick Bilonick wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 11:06 -0800, Spencer Graves wrote:
>
>>       I can think of two ways to get confidence intervals on intraclass
>> correlations (ICCs) and more accurate intervals for variance

<snip>

> The way I've done the bootstrapping (sampling at each level) sounds the
> same as using a simulation. But articles and references I've found
> indicate that only the highest level (a if c is nested in b and b is
> nested a) should be sampled.

Correct:  Bootstrapping with mixed effects hurts my brain just to think
about it, because if you are not careful, you effectively assume away
the variance components structure, and that's rarely what you want to
do.  The difference between "simulate.lme" and "mcmcsamp" is that the
first produces Monte Carlo confidence intervals, while the latter
produces "Bayesian posterior" intervals, so the interpretation is
slightly different.  I do not recall having seen any direct comparison,
so I'd be interested in the results, if you try both.  However, I'd be
extremely surprised if the answers were very different.  If I did it
myself and found substantive differences, I would suspect that I'd done
something wrong with at least one of the two.  If I couldn't find any
errors in my work, I'd start looking for help.

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer Graves