[R] installing package help with limited permissions

Eva Goldwater goldwater at schoolph.umass.edu
Mon Oct 30 17:25:24 CET 2006

Hello,

I administer a student (Windows based) computer lab, which has R
installed.  I want to permit students to install R packages, but of
course they don't have write permission to R root folder.  Following FAQ
suggestion, I've set up a folder that they can write to, and set the
R_LIB parameter on the shortcut to this folder.  So  far, so good - they
can now install packages. However, I have not found any way to get the
corresponding help files installed.

FAQ says the help files require write permission to R installation
folder.  This seems pretty extreme.  Is there some subfolder that would
do the trick?  Any way to have an alternate place to store help files,
just as we are using an alternate location for packages?

I tried giving users Modify permission to R..../doc/html folder.  With
this, install package does NOT give any error for insufficient
permission to install help; help(package='package_name') works; however
help(function, package='package_name') still does not work.

Is there any good way out of this dilemma, short of giving users free
permission to the entire R installation?  Thanks for any suggestions.

Eva Goldwater			email: goldwater at schoolph.umass.edu
Biostatistics Consulting	Phone: (413) 545-2949
418 Arnold House		Fax:   (413) 545-1645
715 North Pleasant Street
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01003-9304