[R] Odd behaviour of removing 'nothing' from an array or data frame

Richard.Cotton at hsl.gov.uk Richard.Cotton at hsl.gov.uk
Tue Oct 31 15:02:24 CET 2006

I've just found some behaviour which strikes me as odd, but I'm not sure
whether it's a bug or a feature.  If you don't mind, I'd like to explain
via a couple of examples.

Let x = 1:10.
Then intuitively, to me at least, the command x[-integer(0)] should leave
x untouched.  However the actual output under R2.4.0 is integer(0).

A slightly more involved example demonstrates why I think this behaviour
is back to front.
First we define a data frame, in this case some people, with their
heights.
peoples.heights = data.frame(names = c("Alice", "Bob", "Carol"), heights =
c(1.67, 1.85, 175))

To make sure the heights are sensible, we define a filter out impossibly
tall people.
dubious.records = which(peoples.heights$heights > 2.5)          #3
peoples.heights = peoples.heights[-dubious.records,]

This all works fine since dubious.records is not empty.  However, if all
the records had been entered properly, then we would get
#dubious.records = integer(0)

Then the command peoples.heights = peoples.heights[-dubious.records,]
strips all the rows to give
#[1] names   heights
#<0 rows> (or 0-length row.names)

i.e. instead of removing the bad records, I've lost everything.
I know that it's possible to recode this so problems don't occur, but the
point is that the answer is unexpected.

Can anybody explain if this behaviour is intentional or useful in some
way, or is it an oversight?

Regards,
Richie.

Mathematical Sciences Unit