[R] [ggplot] controlling axis and major/minor tick marks

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 16:04:59 CET 2006

Hi Sebastian,

> Then I plot my stuff with
>
> p2 <- ggplot(knn, . ~ power ,  aes=list(y=log10(k2m/(degree*kSize)),
> x=log10(degree), shape=alpha))
> p2 <- ggpoint(p2)
> p2
>
> and I do not see any axis at all. The tick marks are there, they are
> black as they should.

I don't think I understand what you mean by axis - do you mean you
want a line running along side the plot next to the tick marks?

> By the way, I already wondered why I can not change the shapes of the
> symbols in use. I figured that they are set statically in map_shapes.
> How about introducing an option for this somewhere?

I mean to overhaul the options system to provide a lot more
flexibility, but I have yet to get around to this unfortunately.

> I definetly need minor tick marks and will hack my way through ggplot to
> acheive this if it does not seem to difficult to me. May you give me a
> tip where to start / where should I have to modify things.

I am planning on rewriting a lot of the scales system, but again, when
I have time.  It would be useful if you could provide a specification
of what minor tickmarks are: how are they different from major tick
marks? what do they look like? when do you want to see them?  do you
generate them using the same principle as major tick marks?

Hadley