[R] Measurements of 3000 criminals

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Oct 31 17:42:21 CET 2006

    >> Hallo everyone,
    >>
    >> excuse me if this is not a genuine R question but I do
    >> not know where to ask else.
    >>
    >> Referring to e.g.
    >>
    >> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2004-December/062114.html
    >>
    >> I wonder if these measurements of 3000 criminals (raw
    >> data) are available anywhere.  At least I didn't find
    >> them in the R datasets package or by means of Google.
    >> What I did find was a table of frequencies of the central
    >> values for *grouped* classifications (finger lenghts) in
    >> the Handbook of Small Data Sets.
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance.
    >>
    >> D. Trenkler

    Jean> Dietrich,

    Jean> I'm not sure, but this is perhaps what you want:

    Jean> crim <-
    Jean> read.table("http://pbil.univ-lyon1.fr/R/donnees/criminals1902.txt")

May I propose to enhance this to

  cfile <- "http://pbil.univ-lyon1.fr/R/donnees/criminals1902.txt"
  crimtab <- as.table(data.matrix(read.table(cfile, check.names=FALSE)))

  ## and e.g.,
  print(crimtab, zero=".")

Jean, this is really very nice, and given the historic
importance of the data, I'd like to add this to the "official" R
'datasets'  (the standard data set package),
with tribute to you and Anne-Béatrice, and the references.

If you agree, I'd be happy if you could help me (in private
e-mail exchanges) to easily complete the relevant help page.

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich