[R] savePlot and dev.copy

Mike Prager mike.prager at noaa.gov
Tue Oct 31 20:41:24 CET 2006

Dear R gurus,

R 2.4.0 under Windows XP.

We have developed several dozen R functions to make and save
specialized plots.  These use savePlot() to optionally save the
plot to files (eps, jpg, png, ...).

The thought has come up of putting the functions into an R
package.  Because savePlot is available only on Windows, we
would instead detect the OS and use dev.copy in place of
savePlot when not running under Windows.

My question is, if this code is rewritten anyway, what are the
pros and cons of using dev.copy under *all* operating systems
vs. using savePlot on Windows and dev.copy on other platforms?

Thanks!

--
Mike Prager, NOAA, Beaufort, NC