[R] makeSOCKcluster

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Sep 1 07:59:55 CEST 2006

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006, Hrishikesh Rajpathak wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I am a newbie to R and trying to implement parallelism in R. I am
>   currently using R-2.3.1, and Cygwin to run R on Windows xp.

Did you build R under Cygwin (which is not a supported platform), or are
you running a native Windows build of R?  If the latter, you may be being
optimistic to expect R to run Unix commands in the same way as under Unix.

I presume you mean this line in package snow:

    system(paste(rshcmd, "-l", user, machine, "env", env, script))

which appears to be attempting to run a shell script: no shell is used by
system() on Windows R.  As the return value is not checked, this will not
fail.

R under Windows differs from R under Unix in a number of ways, and
system() is a major one.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk