[R] subsetting a data set

Sean O'Riordain seanpor at acm.org
Fri Sep 8 13:05:44 CEST 2006

Hi Graham,
Try creating a new column with the two levels that you want...

something along the lines of (warning untested!!!)

GQ1[(GQ1$Status == "Expert) | (GQ1$Status == "Ecol"),]$newColumn <- "AllEcol"
GQ1[GQ1$Status == "Stake",]$newColumn <- "Stake"

and then do the
by(GQ1[,"Max"], list(GQ1$NewColumn), summary)

when in doubt... break the problem into smaller chunks... :-)

cheers,
Sean