[R] How to actively join you all

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sat Sep 9 12:31:49 CEST 2006

On 9/8/2006 11:47 PM, gyadav at ccilindia.co.in wrote:
> Hello R Community,
>
> I am really impressed by the 'R'. I am a computer engineer. Further, I
> have done work on Linux Code at my home and Worked on Cisco IOS platform.
> I would like to contribute to the software i.e. i would like to devote my
> free time for its development, but i do not know how to join the
> development team. If anybody can tell me the way then please show me the
> way. I would be really grateful to you all.

Spend some time reading this mailing list and the R-devel mailing list
until you get a feeling for what is already there, and what is missing.
  Then try to put together a package to provide some part of what is
missing.  Read the "Writing R Extensions" manual to see what is involved
in that.  When the package is done, send it to CRAN, and if appropriate,
write up a description of it and submit the package and description to a
journal, e.g. JSS.

If you want to contribute to the R internals, then you should read the
development.r-project.org web page, which gives details about Subversion
access to the source, etc.  There's also a new manual "R Internals"
which will be in 2.4.0. You won't have write permission on the
repository, but you can suggest changes on the R-devel list, prepare
patches, etc.  Be prepared to defend the changes you suggest:  R has a
long history, and we're reluctant to break old code unless there's a
clear benefit, and reluctant to commit to dead-ends.

To get write permission on the repository you need to convince the
"core" group that you should be invited to join; there are currently 17
members, and I think there are 17 conflicting criteria for membership,
so I don't know any rule other than "make it obvious that it's better
you're a member than not".

Duncan Murdoch