[R] Comparison of R with proprietary software

arin basu arinbasu at cashette.com
Mon Sep 11 13:51:17 CEST 2006

Hi All:

Recently, I got a query how R compared cost-wise (cost of purchase, maintenance, and training manuals) with other proprietary statistical software programs (or programming environments). The request, verbatim:

<--- begin quote ---->

>> dear arin,
>>
>> can you please find out the price of the various
>> prop. statistical
>> packages that are in general use + their per user
>> license fee + annual
>> fees etc at various scales?
>>
>> this will help us to prepare a matrix as to why
>> people should spend
>> money on R or similar training ...

< --- end quote --->

I searched the web and got some quotes. I believe someone/group in this list may already have compiled a nice comparison chart with more detailed research than I can pull up with my one hour surfing. I'd greatly appreciate if anyone can share price-wise comparison between R versus popular proprietary software (SAS, SPSS, STATA, etc).

TIA,
Arin Basu