[R] Can't run nlme with nested structure

Pekka Kontiainen pekka.kontiainen at helsinki.fi
Tue Sep 12 08:49:28 CEST 2006

Hello!

So, my problem is following. I have bird offspring growth data and I'd
like to model individual growth curves (aim is to study asymptotes and
inflection points) with nlme according to Pinheiro & Bates 2000: first using
nlsList to generate individual curves and then nlme to study the
parameters and fixed effects. The data is structured to two levels. I
have broods and individuals within the broods. Problems arise if I specify
the groupedData object to have two levels. Running of the nlme gives me an
error message "can't run the model with multiple levels", or something
alike..

Is there a way around this or should I start looking fo another way of
analysing the data?

Thank you for your time.

Pekka Kontiainen
Ph.D. Candidate
Bird Ecology Unit
Department of Environmental and Biosciences
P.O. Box 65 (00014) University of Helsinki
FINLAND
Phone +35844-5496858

----- Edelleenlähetetty viesti päättyy -----