[R] rename cols

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Tue Sep 12 14:17:14 CEST 2006

I don't know, this seems pretty simple and intuitive (to me)

# Create a sample data set with 439 variables
tmp <- data.frame(matrix(c(rnorm(4390)), ncol=439))
colnames(tmp)<-paste("col", 1:439, sep = "")

# rename a certain variable in that dataset
names(tmp)[(which(names(tmp)=='col1'))]<-'NewName'

Here you are using indexing and a simple evaluation to find a variable
by name in a large data set and rename it. R is so flexible that this
cat can be skinned in many (and maybe even easier) ways, though.

Harold