[R] Using XY location data to calculate ecological parameters

James R. Milks james.milks at wright.edu
Tue Sep 12 15:35:50 CEST 2006

Dear R gurus,

I have XY data giving the locations of tree seedlings that were
surveyed during a 210 meter belt transect.  This belt transect was
taken by stretching a line across the field, then measuring all
seedlings within 1 meter on either side of the line.  The end result
was XY coordinates and height for ~1,300 seedlings.  I would like to
use that data to calculate density of seedlings per 10 meters per
species and relative species abundance in order to compare between
this transect and other transects as well as to compare between
segments of the same transect.  Are there any R packages out there
that will allow me make those calculations?  To give an idea of my
data, here's a fictional example:

Species				X (m)	Y(m)
Acer negundo		90.10	-.19
Acer negundo		90.14	-.90