[R] forcing levelplot to use relative cuts (ie cuts for each panel)

Mike Townsley uctcmkt at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Sep 13 10:20:40 CEST 2006

Dear guRus,

I'm having trouble producing a levelplot with relative cuts for each
panel (my data has large differences in scales, so I want to use
quantiles for each panel).

My attempts to change the 'at'  argument in panel.levelplot function
have not met with success.

Below is a toy example.

xy <- expand.grid(x = 1:3, y = 1:3)

aaa <- rbind(cbind(xy, z = 1:9, site = rep('A', 9)),
              cbind(xy, z = (1:9)/10, site = rep('B', 9)),
              cbind(xy, z = (1:9)*10, site = rep('C', 9)))

aaa

library(lattice)
levelplot(z~x+y|site, data = aaa)         # using absolute cuts

# now, attempt relative cuts

levelplot(z~x+y|site, data = aaa, panel = function(...) {
           panel.levelplot(at = quantile(z),...) })

I get the following message:
Error in panel.levelplot(at = quantile(z), ...) :
         formal argument "at" matched by multiple actual arguments

My idea was to determine the cut points each time the panel function
is called (ie each subset of the data), but I guess this was the
wrong thing to do.  Can someone point out what I'm missing?

Thanks in advance,

MT

Dr Michael Townsley
Senior Research Fellow