[R] what does Height represent?

zhaoshi zhaoshi at u.washington.edu
Fri Sep 15 02:08:28 CEST 2006

hi--

I am new to R and try to use R cluster my binary data. I use
hierarchical clustering
plot (hclust (dist(x,method="binary"),method="average"),cex=0.1)
I end up with a cluster Dendrogram. On the left of my dendrogram, there
is scale called Height from 0.0 to 1.0.
I don't understand what does Height represent. If the Height represents
the distance scale between two different data point,
it looks like if I add up the length of each branch, I end up with
distance of some pairs > 1. It is not possible the distance
between any data point will greater than 1. Could some help me out?

Thanks

Zhaoshi