[R] Building the call of an arbitrary function

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Sun Sep 17 18:36:12 CEST 2006

Hy all,

Is there a direct way to build the complete function call of an arbitrary
function?

Here's what I want to do. A function will build a function which will itself
call a probability density function for some law given in argument to the
first function:

> f("gamma", 1000)

will return, say,

function(x, shape, rate, scale = 1/rate)
    dgamma(x + 1000, shape, rate, scale = 1/rate)

(Notice that the arguments of the output function are those of dgamma().)

I tried all sorts of combinations of call(), formals(), args() et al. to no
avail. But then, I avoided, so far, to build the whole thing as a character
string. Would it be the only option?

Thanks for any help.

--
  Vincent Goulet, Professeur agrégé