[R] Comparison of correlation coefficients

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Sep 19 01:22:47 CEST 2006

"David Barron" <mothsailor at googlemail.com> writes:

> Is cor.test() in the stats packages what you mean?

No, he wants to compare two correlation coefficients, not test that
one is zero. That's usually a misguided question, but if need be, the
Fisher z transform atanh(r) can be used to convert r to an
approximately normal variate with a known variance 1/(N-3) and
comparing r1 and r2 from two independent samples is straightforward.
The correlated case (like cor(x,y) vs cor(x,z)) is more complicated.