[R] Problem with rpart

Andrew Zachary Andrew.Zachary at wetherbypartnersllc.com
Tue Sep 19 18:23:47 CEST 2006

Here is an example (though the data are too large to send ). The dataset
is (6530 x 15). Predictors are continuous N(0,1). Trying to build a
regression tree.

 fit <- rpart( y ~ x1 + x2 + x3 + x4 + x5 + x6 + x7 + x8 + x9 + x10 +
x11 + x12 + x13 + x14, data=my.data.set, weights=wts )

And the output:

 summary( fit )
Call:
rpart(formula = y ~ x1 + x2 + x3 + x4 + x5 + x6 + x7 + x8 + x9 + x10 +
x11 + x12 + x13 + x14, data =my.data.set, weights = wts)
  n= 6530

  CP nsplit rel error
1 NA      0        NA

Node number NA: NA observationsError in if (ff$complexity[i] < cp ||
is.leaf[i]) cat("\n") else cat(",    complexity param=",  :
        missing value where TRUE/FALSE needed

If I run this using a subset of 900 points, everything is fine.
Similarly, if I run it using 1100 points, it dies. There are no missing
values in the dataset. Is this simply a case where I should decrease cp?

Regards,
Andrew