[R] Adding percentage to Pie Charts (was (no subject))

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Tue Sep 19 20:28:57 CEST 2006

Have you read the books by Cleveland?

His experiments show that most people do better estimating things and
comparing things on a linear scale rather than looking at angles and
areas (also see
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/twiki/pub/Main/StatGraphCourse/graphsco
urse.pdf)

With a dot chart you can set the axis to go from 0 to the total of all
groups (see the example I sent before, it could have had the numbers on
the x-axis, but still included the total), that means that points near
the middle of the line represent about 50%, looking at how close the
point is to the left lets you estimate the percentage and most people
(you may differ) do a better job of estimating that percentage from the
position of the dot than from an angle or area.  If you feel the need to
specify the percentages along the side of a dot chart, then at least
they are lined up vertically for easy comparison (my example would have
been better if a lot of the vertical space had been removed so the
pieces of interest were closer together), the pie chart would generally
have the percentages non-aligned causing more work for the viewer to
compare them.

Dotcharts also remove the dependence/temptation to use color and any
psycolocical influences that may have on the interpretation.

I have yet to see a pie chart that was better at conveying the true
nature of the data than a well done dot chart of the same data, I have
seen multiple cases where the dot chart showed truths about the data
that were not apparent in the corresponding pie chart.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at intermountainmail.org